Q&A’s for prospective residents

You can start to look at properties that become available. These will be found on the “Homes to let” section, listed by borough. If you find a property that you are interested in, you should register an interest by selecting ‘apply for this property‘ against each and every property you wish to view. We will contact you either by email, text or phone and arrange for you to meet us at the property. You may have less than 24 hours to confirm that you will be at the viewing.

You will be shown round the property and given information as to when it will be ready for occupation. If this is a new property, we will tell you the likely date the builders will give it to us.  However please be aware that these dates can change. If the property is one where someone is moving out, we will tell you what works we are doing, and when they will be completed.

If more than one person has registered an interest in the property, priority will be given to Key Workers and those who work and live in the area whose household income is below £50,000. If there are a number of applicants who meet these criteria, then we will allocate the property to the household that contacted us first.

If you wish to reserve a property then you will be required to pay a £200 holding fee, usually by 12pm following the viewing. Should you accept the property then the holding fee will be deducted from your first month’s rent. However, should you withdraw for any reason or if your references are unsatisfactory then the holding fee is forfeited.

Yes. On sign-up you will be required to pay one month’s rent as a deposit.

Newlon participates in the Deposit Protection Scheme, www.depositprotection.com. Your deposit will be protected by this.

This is an independent deposit scheme and is the only Government authorised custodial scheme that is free to use. All deposits are ring fenced in accordance with client money regulations. It offers an independent and free Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) service, which aims to resolve any disputes quickly. This means that if you have kept your property in a good condition and kept up with your rent payments, you will receive all or most of your deposit when you leave.

Before you sign a tenancy, we will carry out checks to ensure you are eligible for the property. If you are eligible we will arrange an appointment for you to come into our office and sign the agreement. As part of the sign-up process you will need to bring the following:

  • A letter from your employer confirming your job title, salary and date employment commenced.
  • A landlord’s reference confirming your tenancy
  • Your last three months’ pay slips or your P60
  • A credit report (less than one month old)
  • Your passport and a passport sized photograph
  • Your National Insurance number
  • Identification documents such as passports, immigration status documents, birth certificates or driving licences for all proposed occupants
  • A passport sized photograph for all proposed occupants, apart from any children under eight years old

To be eligible for Intermediate Rent you will need to meet minimum criteria and you should be able to pay your rent without the assistance of housing benefit.

You will be granted a two year Fixed Term tenancy. You will be asked to sign an agreement and keep a copy. We will then give you the keys. If you are entitled to have your holding fee returned it will be transferred to your rent account.

Due to the volume of registered parties we get for some of our properties, we are unable to invite everyone to viewings. In such cases we will shortlist in line with our priority criteria.

Once a property has been accepted and logged as ‘under offer’, it is effectively no longer available. It has been viewed and accepted and waiting for the tenancy to be signed. If the registered party changes their mind, the property will be offered to another party who viewed the property.

If your tenancy starts on or after the 1st February 2016, you will need to provide evidence that you have the Right To Rent in the UK. We will ask you to provide original documents that prove you can live in the UK.

If you do not have the right to rent, then Newlon will not be able to authorise any adult to occupy the property under a residential tenancy agreement. This will apply to all new Intermediate Rent, two-year fixed term and any community lettings in an area where this scheme is implemented.